Serving the Community Since 1905
The Women’s Club of Glen Ridge was founded in 1905 as “an organized center for thought and action for the women of the community in which ideals of education, culture, and civic and social service may be encouraged and developed”. The Women’s Club has been successfully fulfilling its mission since its inception and remains a vibrant and vital organization today.
Membership grew rapidly in the new Club as there was great interest in the many civic projects the Club was pursuing. In the early years, the Women’s Club met in various locations including private homes, schools and churches.
In 1925 the impossible dream of a clubhouse became a reality. A beautiful brick Georgian Colonial Revival building was completed at the corner of Ridgewood Avenue and Snowden Place.
Mr. Henry S. Chapman, who lived at the Sunnycrest Estate at 204 Ridgewood Avenue (where the high school now stands) was the sole benefactor of the clubhouse. The building was erected as a memorial to his beloved wife. A plaque remains on the building today recognizing it as the Emily M. Chapman Memorial. The clubhouse is a generous gift treasured and cared for by the members.
The Women’s Club is the scene of many social gatherings, educational programs, cultural events, and meetings. A variety of Club departments sponsor monthly speakers across a broad range of topics. Members currently enjoy programs from departments that include: informal cocktail parties, luncheons, yoga, book discussions and day trips to New York City. The Club publishes its Signpost newsletter four times per year to keep the membership informed.
The Women’s Club is the scene of social gatherings, educational programs and cultural events. Club departments sponsor monthly meetings that feature speakers across a broad range of topics; the Club publishes a quarterly newsletter, Signpost. Other activities include informal cocktail parties, luncheons, yoga, book discussions and day trips to New York City and the surrounding area. While enriching minds and creating friendships, Club events and activities raise funds that serve to maintain our historic clubhouse.